Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pasture Flooding Resources

I hope all of you out there are OK and that you and your animals have made it through without injury or worse...

I'm starting to get questions about how to handle stored feed, corn, pasture and hay that has been flooded.  Thankfully, there's an excellent resource from UVM Extension on the subject at: 

From the VT Agency of Ag press release about reporting damage.  You are also welcome to contact VGFA at my email address: jcolby@uvm.edu or (802) 656-0858.  I will forward on reports, too.
If there is damage to any part of your property or business, including but not limited to barns, milking parlors, crops, fields, equipment, etc., this information should be reported to your county USDA Farm Service Agency or your county Natural Resources Conservation Services office; you can also contact organizations to which you belong such as the Vermont Farm Bureau at 802-434-5646 or NOFA Vermont 802-434-4122. These organizations should send a summary of the information to the Agency of Agriculture which will then forward to VEM. Farmers experiencing loss of crops due to flooding should contact their crop insurance agent immediately as well as USDA Farm Service Agency.

Farmers are encouraged to keep in touch with USDA Farm Service Agency at 802-658-2803 and Natural Resources Conservation Service at 802-951-6796.

Lastly, there are a number of resources about clean up and emergency recovery at the UVM Extension web site.

Be safe,


Thursday, August 25, 2011