Friday, May 18, 2012

Grazing Experiments on a Central VT Farm

618 loves her chervil!
As a person working in the Pasture Program for over seven years, I expect that readers might wonder what happens on my own farm.  Yes, I graze animals  too!  For the last several years, I've been focused on sheep and feeder pigs, with occasional poultry.  I'll be back on poultry again now that I finished grad school. 

I just posted a photo album on Facebook which should be publicly accessible by others.  If you are on Facebook, please feel free to comment.  As with every other farm(er) I know...our farm is a work in progress.  It's not large; we currently have 11 ewes...but we are growing and learning.  One thing I've learned is that regardless of one's size or experience, there's always more to learn!

I am testing a number of approaches which I've observed on others' farms including taller grazing, planned grazing, silvopasture/fallow land reclamation, and eating weeds. I'll keep posting...hopefully you'll keep checking back.

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment